Who doesn’t love french fries. The warm, crispy, and satisfying taste of this popular side dish has won over the hearts of people all over the world. However, french fries are high in fat, calories, and sodium. Diets high in these three things increase your risk of developing diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and obesity-related problems.
A healthy alternative to this fan favorite are zucchini fries. Zucchini is low in calories and high in vitamins, phytonutrients, and minerals. Zucchini can be eaten both cooked and raw and is a great addition to many meals! Opting for zucchini fries versus the standard potato french fries will give your body the antioxidants it needs to help fight off free radicals, while limiting your fat, sodium, and caloric intake.
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten free breadcrumbs work just as well)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees
- Cut the zucchini into 1/2 – inch sticks [approximately the size of a tube of lipstick]
- Place the zucchini sticks into a mixing bowl
- Add the greek yogurt and panko crumbs into the bowl
- Toss the mixture until the zucchini is coated thoroughly
- Season with salt and pepper
- Place the coated zucchini sticks onto a greased baking sheet
- Cook in oven for 15-20 minutes, until sticks are nicely browned