September 21st is dedicated to the International Day of Peace. This day is meant to bring everyone together to practice awareness, equality, love, and friendship in order to achieve worldwide peace.
This year the UN has worked with over 190 members to address how humanity can unite to begin solving major international conflicts as a team. A number of persistent and chronic barriers to achieving international peace include poverty, hunger, waning natural resources, a failing water supply, inequality, environmental destruction, disease, corruption, racism, xenophobia, and bullying. These conflicts are creating turmoil and distress between nations, countries, communities, and individuals. This day hopes to bring awareness to these issues in order to overcome the negative and work proactively to spread the idea of peace instead!
A lot of these issues are systemic and cannot be solved by one single person. So today I am asking you to start small instead. Simply by paying it forward through a random act of kindness. Some examples include:
- Holding the door or elevator for someone
- Buying the person behind you in line their morning coffee
- Helping a co-worker with a task at work
- Carrying something someone is struggling to hold
- Donating clothes, food, or your time to those who are less fortunate then yourself
- Calling a friend and tell them you care about them
- Picking up trash you see on the sidewalks or roads
- Forgiving someone, holding grudges and harnessing anger towards another person creates a toxic environment. Learn to either forgive or forget: regardless relinquish the negative and move on.
- Putting a coin in someones expiring/expired meter to avoid a parking ticket
- Sending someone a nice, thinking of you, letter
- Asking someone how they are doing. Personal connection with someone you may not know as well is life-changing
- Letting pedestrians cross the road instead of speeding past them
- Letting someone go in front of you in a long line
- Giving up your seat to someone standing
- Babysitting or dog-sitting for friends who need a night out
- Waving to a stranger [they might think you’re nuts but I bet it’ll make their day!]
- Buying someone flowers and leaving it for them to find
- Giving someone encouragement when you see them losing motivation
- Spending the day saying nice things to people such as compliments, words of gratitude, and hope
Try one or more of these things today and share what you did with me here! Let’s take advantage of this day of peace to bring us together for the good of humanity!