I want to start off this post by thanking my beautiful friend Linda. She recommended this recipe to me and it’s amazing! so i thank you 🙂
The watermelon radish. While this Chinese root vegetable may look bland on the outside, it is the vibrant interior colors that give this food item its trademark name. Not only is the watermelon radish, formally known as the Red Meat Radish, bursting with antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals. This vegetable is made up of 90% water and only has 17 calories per cup! What an amazing snack or side salad idea! Fall is the best time to purchase watermelon radishes, so get them before the season ends! This quick, no-cook, healthy salad dish can be prepared and enjoyed anywhere, so give it a try and tell me what you think.
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 watermelon radishes
- 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Place the minced shallot, white balsamic vinegar, and salt into a small bowl and set aside
- Cut off one end of each of the radishes. Thinly, and carefully, slice the radishes with a sharp knife and place in a large bowl
- Season the sliced radishes with a pinch of salt
- Cut off the two ends of the oranges.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange ends onto the salted radishes
- Take the remainder of the orange, remove the peel, and divide into slices
- Place the orange slices into the large bowl with the radishes
- Scatter the walnuts, goat cheese, and shallot mixture into the large bowl
- Add the extra virgin olive oil on last
- Let the meal sit for approximately 5 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 2-3 people Calories: 250 Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Due to the high acidity content of this recipe it is advised you pair this meal with whatever whole grain starch alternative that you wish.
- [Sourdough toast with mashed avocado and red pepper flakes is a great option]
- If you don’t enjoy the taste of goat cheese pair this meal with feta cheese instead!